Sunday, April 20, 2008

Envious of this Vancity exclusive...

GR Film Buff Serena Bartlett:
OK guys, let's admit that Portuguese just might be the sexiest language ever. So when I heard a docu-maker idol of mine, Chico Teixeira, passed the threshold into feature filmmaking with "A Casa De Alice" I scooted to the edge of my seat. Centered in Sao Paulo, Brazil, the sexual themes and subtle emotional undercurrents are beautifully acted by lead Carla Ribas, in her sultry native tongue. Her quiet, empty and utterly lonely character is one we've all met before, slipping by in the mundane middle class we often accept as normal. This film asks me to look deeper into the lives behind the women around me, and wells up compassion inside me.



Downtown Vancouver's Vancity Theatre has the Canadian exclusive on this stirring drama, hailed by Berlin, Miami, Guadalajara, Rio de Janeiro and other prestigious international film fests. Head to Vancity if you're in BC before the 25th for a 7:30 or 9:30 showing of Alice's House.

1181 Seymour Street at Davie Street, Vancouver, BC
604.683.3456

No comments: